How To Make your Home smell Awesome
I Love me some essential oils however when the time comes for something to smell like a fresh baked Apple pie I can’t resist putting this little recipe together. The smells of the evergreen, cinnamon, orange and spice all mean the Holidays are here and that smell makes any child run downstairs to investigate what’s cooking.
Home Made Pot Pourri Mix
A stove top pot pourri mix is an easy inexpensive way to make your home smell wonderful. Packaging the mix in a Holiday bag makes a wonderful gift for friends, neighbours, teachers and co-workers.
Here is my Holiday Must do hands down favorite Pot Pourri recipe.
The smells of the evergreen, cinnamon, orange and spice all mean the Holidays are here. A stove top pot pourri mix is an easy inexpensive way to make your home smell wonderful. Packaging the mix in a Holiday bag makes a wonderful gift for friends, neighbours, teachers and co-workers.
|Stovetop Pot Pourri|
Holiday Stove Top Pot pourri Mix
- one whole orange or just the orange peel
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. whole cloves
- 3 sticks of cinnamon or a small handful of small pieces of cinnamon
- a bit of grated nutmeg if desired
Quarter the orange. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan. Fill pan with water. Place on the stove on the smallest burner, on the lowest setting. Refill water as needed. It’s just that easy. I love to use an orange that is starting to get old… or just use the peel of an orange. Another important tip is don’t allow the water to completely evaporate. I always refill the water when I turn it on. One mix stays good for weeks. With heating the mix does turn brown, but continues to smell wonderful, so I usually make only batch in a season. It’s not the Holidays without the delicious scent… it makes me think of cranberry sauce or egg Nog.. Yum.
|Stovetop Pot Pourri|
How to Make your Home Smell Awesome using some Fragrant items for naturally scenting your home:
- Citrus Scents –Lemons and oranges hands down are particularly fragrant and have the best staying power in these scented waters. — I’ve tried other fruits. Some of them smell good initially, but they don’t hold up for more than one use. Citrus is sturdier, longer-lasting, and gives these scent recipes freshness. Why not Add some Citrus to your home to make it smell refreshed and clean.
- Herbs –– My favorites for room scents are Basil leaves, rosemary and thyme. Any herb can be used for making a room scent, but the ones that are sturdier and on woody twigs hold up the best. Add some Thyme, or fresh herbs to your home to make it smell awesome, refreshed and clean.
- Eucalyptus pine or cedar twigs/needles – There may be other fragrant trees that will work, too; pine and cedar are the two I’ve tried for their appealing, fresh fragrance. For a medicinal smell I love me some Eucalyptus leaves. Remember those Victorian swags from the 80’s? Yup!
- Vanilla extract — A touch of vanilla or almond extract improves most room fragrance mixtures. Mint extract has a nice fresh scent too. You can also use whole vanilla beans instead of vanilla extract; pricey but amazingly fragrant. What a great smell to have in the home, careful if you find it triggers migraines.
- Cinnamon & Spice-– You can use ground or whole sweet spices. The whole spices look prettier, if your scented water will be in a location where it will be seen. I have found that cinnamon sticks and whole cloves have the most scent staying power. Cinnamon sticks can be rinsed off and reused several times. They keep on giving.
- Essential Oils like Bergamot and Frankincense are my personal faves. Here is my list of Calming and favorite. I have a diffuser that I plug in and add a few drops of my favorite essential oils that I use daily to feel Calm and relaxed, this helps in the kitchen after a smelly meal has been cooked or in the living room to freshen up the house.
- Lavendar – Fresh Flowers or Rosewater smells lovely for some spring like scents. Lavendar is very calming for kids and pets. Place some into a pretty vase near the front entrance, to welcome you home.
- Incense Burn some incense or sage leaves is a very powerful method to do a space clearing and purifying or removing any toxic negative energy. It will leave an amazing and unique fragrance in the air, and helps to clear stagnant chi. Space clearing is another favorite to do of mine to do a space clearing every year, month , week and day in my home. Be blessed.
- Burn some Scented Candles – in my home nothing feels more romantic than lighting a few of my favorite smelling candles.
As you can see, there are many ways to get your home to smell awesome by using many natural ingredients that you have in or around your home. Pot Pourri, essential oils , fresh flowers incense and candles provide my home with a little bit of Feng Shui Luxury living, that doesn’t cost those luxury prices.
Over to you – let me know what your going to implement into your home to make it smell awesome ! I want to know.
Oh, and please Pin me!